View Single Post
Old 08-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #69
Ohio

Default Re: LSM's Etymological Errors - Nigel Tomes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERn View Post
Not that Scofield's comments are the "cat's meow", but here's what's in his 1917 version:

---
2:6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.

Nicolaitanes

From nikao, "to conquer," and laos, "the people," or "laity." There is no ancient authority for a sect of the Nicolaitanes. If the word is symbolic it refers to the earliest form of the notion of a priestly order, or "clergy," which later divided an equal brotherhood Matthew 23:8 into "priests" and "laity." What in Ephesus was "deeds" Revelation 2:6 had become in Pergamos a "doctrine Revelation 2:15 .

Nicolaitanes Revelation 2:15, contra, ; 1 Peter 5:2 1 Peter 5:3 ; Matthew 24:49 .
-----

WL made reference to this somewhere and during my "due diligence" early days I found it, which helped me swallow the whole thing "hook, line, and sinker".

Does anyone know if Scofield was anti-cleric?
Scofield took his Nicolaitan teachings right out of the exclusive Brethren playbook.

You know where we are all "brothers," but some are more "brotherly" than others. John Darby loved such theology, which he could manipulate as needed. George Muller and Henry Craik, the two elders in Bristol who stood up to Darby's abuses, stood solely on God's word to resist his advances. As a result, George Muller became the most hated man in all the Darby Brethren kingdom.

Darby hated all church offices because they placed restrictions and boundaries on his power structure. Nee and Lee were the same. Historians have said that Darby had become a far worse pope than the one in Rome he regularly condemned. His lineage of successors -- Raven, Taylor Sr, Taylor Jr, Symington, Hales -- have definitely proven that. They call Hales "the first among equals." Only the exclusives could invent such hypocritical expressions to fool the faithful.