View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #58
Ohio

Default Re: How Much To Throw Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
OBW has caught a lot of flack for suggesting that everything from the LC should be dumped. Although I too have thought he was a little too insistent on this, I think his point is that, in a way, it might be better to relearn all Christian doctrine, including the stuff the LC got right, rather than clinging tightly to it because you like it so much.

In other words, I think his point is that there is nothing in the LC that you cannot get outside the LC and probably in a healthier manner. He is saying that in some cases it's just better to start from scratch, or act as if your are starting from scratch, when starting over post-LC. So his point isn't that everything in the LC is wrong. His point is you have to relearn everything to get it right anyway so you might as well get started as soon as possible.
I cannot accept this approach by OBW because I have seen too many in their "relearning" process mess the whole thing up. They rejected all they had in their LC tenure, entered the vast marketplace of Christian and pseudo-Christian products, and ended up far worse. Since they had learned to critique "all things Christian" thru the ministry of Lee, they were frankly unable to join healthy evangelical congregations, to "relearn" the common faith, that which is healthy for our growth in life and relationship with the Lord Jesus. What has worked for OBW may not work for others.

I think the better way is to to expose, in the light of scriptures, those areas in the LC which imprison them holding them in fear. This is how I was delivered. Through careful examination, with healthy feedback from other posters, errant teachings can be exposed one by one. It's a slower process, but I think a safer one. That's how we learn, we unlearn, and we relearn in every area of our life.