View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #93
Cal

Default Re: Faith and Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Debelak View Post
This is the type of discussion I was at least trying to be careful not to get into.
Peter, Peter. Relax. You made a point about what you "saw" Christians doing. My point is that the media affects what you see and how you evaluate what you see. How the media influences your opinion is definitely relevant to this discussion because it totally affects your overall view of what Christians are doing. That's why I brought it up. It just so happens the media's bias is liberal.

Quote:
If you claim that you want to ban abortion AND claim that you are concerned about the future welfare of the mother and child, then what POLICIES are you advocating for to that end? Are you holding rallies protesting the reduced funding for Child and Family Services? Are you advocating for expanded health-care coverage for a poor young mother and her new child?
I think you are missing a major consideration here. Perhaps these Christians believe such programs as Child and Family Services or expanded health-care coverage are not proper roles for the Federal government. To say that if one protests abortion but doesn't advocate for government welfare benefits for unwed mothers that one is incomplete or unbalanced is simply fallacious. I can be for the welfare of mothers without trying to get the Federal government involved. You see a lack of advocacy for government welfare as a sign of not caring. But who says you have to advocate for government welfare in order to really care? Such is the belief of liberals. This is why I said that you, perhaps unconsciously, have been influenced by them in the media and how things are slanted.

You need to take into account that other Christians may have completely different views from you regarding the proper role of government. Welfare can be achieved without government. Making something illegal cannot.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote