Thread: A Word of Love
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #59
OBW

Default Re: A Word of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
Well I must of misunderstood a previous post of yours that said, what I thought was something to the effect of "not everyone is supposed to preach the gospel". You did not say that, but I thought you said you were "rethinking" the idea that everyone is commissioned to go and preach the gospel.?
There is a difference between our general "commission" to live the gospel, and be ready to speak if asked, etc., and the commission in Matthew 28. That was my point there. I think you made some statement that Jesus had said those things to everybody, but it turns out that of all the possible followers at that time, only the 11 were taken aside and told this.

So the commission to go make it your primary task to spread the gospel was not given to everyone. In other words, Jesus didn't tell everyone to go out. Most of us are asked to live the gospel life (that we learn as the result of that commission) right where we are. And we sill get the opportunity to "preach" as it were.

But we were not put on earth to preach the gospel. We were put here to be the image bearers of Christ.

We were not saved to become the modern equivalent of the 11 in Matthew 28. We were saved as the outgrowth of those who took that commission and spread out over the earth. That does not mean we don't "preach/proclaim the gospel." But we do it more in our lives than in our words. More as part of living than as a "primary task" as was given to those guys.

That is what I was talking about.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote