Local Church Discussions

Local Church Discussions (http://localchurchdiscussions.com/vBulletin/index.php)
-   Suggestions and Feedback (http://localchurchdiscussions.com/vBulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Regarding recent technical problems (http://localchurchdiscussions.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=5491)

UntoHim 01-04-2016 03:18 PM

Regarding recent technical problems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OBW (Post 46285)
(Once again, the quote button provides no quote)

I see that the problem is intermittent, some of you have posted quotes in just the past hour or so. Could you guys please give me a more detailed description of the problem so that I can bring it to the attention of our hosting company?

I have tested the system several times throughout the day and have not experienced any such problem.

Thanks

OBW 01-04-2016 03:41 PM

Re: Regarding recent technical problems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by UntoHim (Post 46288)
I see that the problem is intermittent, some of you have posted quotes in just the past hour or so. Could you guys please give me a more detailed description of the problem so that I can bring it to the attention of our hosting company?

I have tested the system several times throughout the day and have not experienced any such problem.

Thanks

This time it works perfectly. The last time I did it was also fine. But earlier I hit the "Quote" button and got a blank post area. Might as well hit "Reply." And just hitting the back button then hitting quote again seldom fixes it.

And on occasion, I hit "Preview" and the content of the editing area goes away even thought the preview is there. If I copy the content, the hit the Back" button, the original quote returns, but none of what I wrote. I then paste my part in, and edit the quote (again) if I had in the first place.

Because of that last one, I am beginning to copy the entire edit area prior to hitting "Preview" so that I can immediately put it back in to work on if I need to.

Ohio 01-04-2016 05:19 PM

Re: Regarding recent technical problems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by UntoHim (Post 46288)
I see that the problem is intermittent, some of you have posted quotes in just the past hour or so. Could you guys please give me a more detailed description of the problem so that I can bring it to the attention of our hosting company?

I have tested the system several times throughout the day and have not experienced any such problem.

Thanks

I am guessing (though I cannot provide sufficient evidence to satisfy OBW) that the post which we are trying to quote has hidden characters, such as might occur by pasting from another word editor.

Would you like us to identify those posts which cannot be quoted? If so, how shall we do that?

UntoHim 01-04-2016 06:36 PM

Re: Regarding recent technical problems
 
Not sure what you mean my "another word editor". If you are quoting from a post within the forum itself, then it's working with the editor which is embedded within the forum software. I can't see how that can get corrupted when simply using the quote button and placing the quote within a separate post. If my explanation sounds confusing it's probably be because I am:xx: I didn't have time today to get on the phone with our host, but I will try to first thing in the morning.

Ohio 01-04-2016 06:45 PM

Re: Regarding recent technical problems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by UntoHim (Post 46303)
Not sure what you mean my "another word editor".

Some use MS Word or other editors to write their post, and then paste it into the forum. Another way might be some text cut and paste from some other source.

OBW 01-05-2016 08:13 AM

Re: Regarding recent technical problems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohio (Post 46304)
Some use MS Word or other editors to write their post, and then paste it into the forum. Another way might be some text cut and paste from some other source.

I used to do that, but with one of the MS upgrades, it started to copy lots of extraneous characters and it was a fairly complex editing effort to get rid of them. Sometimes using <shift><enter> instead of just <enter> and then copying the Word text to Notepad, adding a space after every paragraph break, then copying that to the forum would work. But even that was inconsistent over time.

I have abandoned that method and now draft in the forum, copy to Word to see the spelling errors and to read it better, then make the changes directly to the forum.

But none of this explains why hitting "Quote" in a post gives a blank screen. I think I will try to quote one of the ones I had trouble with yesterday and see what happens.

OBW 01-05-2016 08:20 AM

Re: Regarding recent technical problems
 
Post 37 in PUTTING TO TEST THE RCV .

Hit "quote." Got a blank space to work with.

OBW 01-05-2016 08:26 AM

Re: Regarding recent technical problems
 
Further to my last post, once I got a quote in there, when I hit "Preview," the editing space was blank, therefore hitting "Submit" could not create a post.

UntoHim 01-05-2016 08:50 AM

Re: Regarding recent technical problems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OBW (Post 46323)
Further to my last post, once I got a quote in there, when I hit "Preview," the editing space was blank, therefore hitting "Submit" could not create a post.

Now matter what I do I can't get the forum to replicate this problem! I have a call into our host.

Ohio 01-05-2016 09:51 AM

Re: Regarding recent technical problems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OBW (Post 46321)
Post 37 in PUTTING TO TEST THE RCV .

Hit "quote." Got a blank space to work with.

Me too, blank edit box.

Ohio 05-22-2018 06:13 AM

Re: Regarding recent technical problems
 
Has anyone else noticed that the editor recently started to add extra lines between paragraphs?


Or perhaps it was my recent Mozilla browser update?

Drake 05-22-2018 06:22 AM

Re: Regarding recent technical problems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohio (Post 75392)
Has anyone else noticed that the editor recently started to add extra lines between paragraphs?


Or perhaps it was my recent Mozilla browser update?

I use Mozilla but donít see that problem. There are added blank lines at the end of my new posts that I have to manually delete before posting.

I have noticed that Alternative views forum doesnít show topics bolded to indicate unread posts within.... if I go through the main forum. Other than that it is a well run and consistent web site.

Drake

awareness 05-22-2018 06:24 AM

Re: Regarding recent technical problems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohio (Post 75392)
Has anyone else noticed that the editor recently started to add extra lines between paragraphs?


Or perhaps it was my recent Mozilla browser update?

I've been noticing for sometime, that sometimes, spaces between sentences cause a hard return on the next line.

Ohio 05-22-2018 06:27 AM

Re: Regarding recent technical problems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by awareness (Post 75396)
I've been noticing for sometime, that sometimes, spaces between sentences cause a hard return on the next line.

I have to Preview my posts, and then go to the editor and remove the extra lines.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:06 PM.

3.8.9