Local Church Discussions

Local Church Discussions (http://localchurchdiscussions.com/vBulletin/index.php)
-   Introductions and Testimonies (http://localchurchdiscussions.com/vBulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Where do you meet (http://localchurchdiscussions.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=5870)

Antipass88 07-12-2017 01:48 PM

Where do you meet

Hi,
I'm wondering you people are posting about your leaving the LC, but where do you fellowship or meet with other Christians?

Nell 07-12-2017 04:10 PM

Re: What ever happened to Max Rappaport, John Ingells?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antipass88 (Post 62244)
Hi,
I'm wondering you people are posting about your leaving the LC, but where do you fellowship or meet with other Christians?

We meet wherever the Lord leads.

If you want to discuss this, please start a new thread.

Nell

JJ 07-12-2017 11:01 PM

Re: Where do you meet

Quote:

Hi,

Good question. I fellowshipped with a group of "saints" who left together in a local "storm" in 1985 informally for 15 years. Then I moved and joined a community church in a new city for 5 years. Then I tried the "local church" again in the new city for 5 years but never fully left the community church. For the last two years it's been only community churches.

There are many differences between community churches and local churches"... both good and bad... could write a book. But, don't have time, sorry. Maybe when I retire.

The main thing is that Christ is rich to all who call on Him from a pure heart fervently. I've met and connected with many outside "the local churches" who do that, and they are great to fellowship, worship, serve, and "do life" with.

I'm interested in where others landed.

aron 07-12-2017 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 62271)
I'm interested in where others landed.

Community church. Local. I still identify as Baptist because that's the gospel that I first heard. Kind of like Paul saying that he was a Pharisee. Paul still believed in the resurrection of the dead; now Paul said that Jesus was the Firstborn from the dead. But he was still a Pharisee; just one who'd seen the Light.

Likewise, I'm a Baptist who's passed thru the LC mind-warp. Still recovering. But slowly getting better. Praise God.

countmeworthy 07-13-2017 11:25 AM

I don't go to 'church' anymore. Been there. Done that. I attend a weekly bible study and I love it! Love the saints. We are a rowdy bunch. :D Interjecting the study with our thoughts, experience, questions, making each other laugh while reading/studying God's Word.

I fellowship with whoever and wherever... I talk to people about the Lord with neighbors, at the Dr's office and as the Holy Spirit leads. :)

I study a lot. I pray a lot and love ALMIGHTY GOD A LOT.

Blessings.

Quote:

Hi,

OBW 07-14-2017 04:49 AM

Two different Bible churches over the past 30 years. They are similar and different. And I like both. Current was to meet with family more easily.

aron 07-14-2017 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countmeworthy (Post 62290)
I don't go to 'church' anymore. . . I attend a weekly bible study . .

Both "go to church" and "attend weekly bible study" might be included in the "ekklesia" participation per the Greek usage in both OT (LXX) and NT.

countmeworthy 07-14-2017 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aron (Post 62330)
Both "go to church" and "attend weekly bible study" might be included in the "ekklesia" participation per the Greek usage in both OT (LXX) and NT.

:D yes! Once in a while I will attend a church service. But as you well know we the true believers are the church, the body of Christ. So long as we adhere to Hebrews 10:25
not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near. we are doing what God wants us to do. :)

I would like to live like the saints lived in the early days of Acts when they were so filled with the Power of the Holy Spirit and the Love of Jesus.

I think in the very early days of the LC, many of the saints had a taste of Acts.

Blessings to you.

DistantStar 07-14-2017 10:51 AM

Quote:

Hi,

I'm ashamed to say that since leaving them more than a year ago I have not found another church. One reason is that the LC made me VERY skeptical and cautious towards every church.

My fellowship consists of time spent with my friends.

UntoHim 07-14-2017 12:39 PM

You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed about my brother. Most of us have experienced the exact same situation. Many of us were in the Local Church for decades and it took us years to reenter anything resembling a healthy relationship with other Christians.

But the Lord is with you! You may have been disappointed by men and a movement of men, but the Lord will never disappoint you or put you to shame when seeking Him and His Kingdom. The Lord WILL come through for you and WILL provide you with the fellowship you deeply desire. And that's a promise!

Then you will know that I am the Lord; those who wait for me shall not be put to shame.
Isaiah 49:23

countmeworthy 07-14-2017 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DistantStar (Post 62338)
I'm ashamed to say that since leaving them more than a year ago I have not found another church. One reason is that the LC made me VERY skeptical and cautious towards every church.

My fellowship consists of time spent with my friends.

I am sure everyone here echos UntoHim's counsel. God is far more understanding, compassionate and merciful than we sometimes give Him credit for. We are HIS and He is not going to forsake you.

Keep seeking His counsel, His Wisdom, His guidance. Enjoy your friends' company. :) Should they start pulling you away from your Creator, be cautious. Be careful.

LifeGoesOn 09-06-2017 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UntoHim (Post 62340)
You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed about my brother. Most of us have experienced the exact same situation. Many of us were in the Local Church for decades and it took us years to reenter anything resembling a healthy relationship with other Christians.

But the Lord is with you! You may have been disappointed by men and a movement of men, but the Lord will never disappoint you or put you to shame when seeking Him and His Kingdom. The Lord WILL come through for you and WILL provide you with the fellowship you deeply desire. And that's a promise!

Then you will know that I am the Lord; those who wait for me shall not be put to shame.
Isaiah 49:23

So true! Our God is awesome!

LifeGoesOn 09-06-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Hi,

Since my family left the LC, it has been a journey to say the least. In fact, it's a ongoing. We have met a good amount of believers via a ministry called "The Last Reformation". Many believers who have watched the movie or online study lessons connect with each other by putting themselves on an online map in their city.

This ministry focuses on the Great Commission and our duty as believers to carry it out. It has really helped me to shift my focus from that of a self-serving, self-centered group to seeing that we are called to reach the lost and share the Gospel of the Kingdom of God with them. That is something I hadn't been a part of since I was a kid and handed out the Harvest publication with my dad in Chicago.

From The Last Reformation network of believers I ended up meeting with a small house church. We've been there for less than a year.

aron 09-06-2017 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeGoesOn (Post 64080)
Since my family left the LC, it has been a journey to say the least. . . .From The Last Reformation network of believers I ended up meeting with a small house church. We've been there for less than a year.

My only advice is to constantly seek exposures that take you out of your comfort zones. Especially readings. Find material that challenges everything you think you know. Beleive me, God is strong and can take it. This will make you a blessing to your companions. Even in the past 3 weeks I've seen stuff that challenges everything. I mean, think about it: I was a Baptist, then a LC'er, then a post- LC'er. What a limited view! The light is growing so intense that I'm going blind - I can see nothing but Jesus Christ, and Him risen from the dead.

LifeGoesOn 09-06-2017 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aron (Post 64088)
My only advice is to constantly seek exposures that take you out of your comfort zones. Especially readings. Find material that challenges everything you think you know. Beleive me, God is strong and can take it. This will make you a blessing to your companions. Even in the past 3 weeks I've seen stuff that challenges everything. I mean, think about it: I was a Baptist, then a LC'er, then a post- LC'er. What a limited view! The light is growing so intense that I'm going blind - I can see nothing but Jesus Christ, and Him risen from the dead.

Yes and amen! It's so awesome to have the Lord open our eyes. I do don't even know about the power of the Holy Spirit. He is a real person, who lives in us and enables us to overcome! We can have a relationship with Him because He is a real person, not some weird mystical entity.

In just the past few years I have begun to learning about the following things, which have started revolutionize my walk with God:

* The Holy Spirit is a real person with Him we can have a relationship.
* The baptism of the Holy Spirit.
* Spiritual gifts ( 1 Corinthians 12) are real and for the Body NOW!
* Healings and miracles really do happen still.
* We have our own prayer language (tongues).

And all of these things are nothing without love. God is love!

I tell people that growing up in the LC, I was a cessationist without knowing it. The spiritual gifts were either not talked about or simply rationalized away.

True repentance was not a topic that I ever heard discussed in a meeting.

The fact that baptism is more than just a symbol, it is an actual putting to death of my old life and my putting on the resurrected, death and sin defeating life of Christ was never clearly explained to me from what I recall.

And the list goes on from there. In a way, my Christian life has just begun. I am excited.

LifeGoesOn 09-06-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aron (Post 64088)

That's awesome. Like what?

countmeworthy 09-06-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeGoesOn (Post 64091)
Yes and amen! It's so awesome to have the Lord open our eyes. I do don't even know about the power of the Holy Spirit. He is a real person, who lives in us and enables us to overcome! We can have a relationship with Him because He is a real person, not some weird mystical entity.

In just the past few years I have begun to learning about the following things, which have started revolutionize my walk with God:

* The Holy Spirit is a real person with Him we can have a relationship.
* The baptism of the Holy Spirit.
* Spiritual gifts ( 1 Corinthians 12) are real and for the Body NOW!
* Healings and miracles really do happen still.
* We have our own prayer language (tongues).

And all of these things are nothing without love. God is love!

I tell people that growing up in the LC, I was a cessationist without knowing it. The spiritual gifts were either not talked about or simply rationalized away.

True repentance was not a topic that I ever heard discussed in a meeting.

The fact that baptism is more than just a symbol, it is an actual putting to death of my old life and my putting on the resurrected, death and sin defeating life of Christ was never clearly explained to me from what I recall.

And the list goes on from there. In a way, my Christian life has just begun. I am excited.

LOVE IT!!!
I came into a relationship with God, the Holy Spirit around 2010. WOW!! I came into a relationship with God the Father only a few months ago !! I've had a relationship with the Lord Jesus since I got saved in 1975. ONE GOD but 3 different roles. Neither the Father nor the Holy Spirit shed the Blood. That role went to the Son, Jesus.

I feel complete in GOD now but that does not mean I have stopped learning from them/HIM.

Back in the day, at least in San Diego, we did hear the message on repentance and the Power of the Blood of Jesus. Those two fundamental teachings and Truths have helped me immensely in my relationship with the LORD.

I am very happy for you Life goes one!! Life indeed goes on after the LC experience! :hurray:

Blessings!

aron 09-07-2017 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeGoesOn (Post 64092)
That's awesome. Like what?

I hesitate to answer because I can't do it justice, but I began to be aware of an anti-jewish bias among early Christian writers. Justin's "Dialog with Trypho the Jew" may be a prominent example. Also Cyril of Alexandria. Paul allowed that God had allowed an opening to the gentiles, in his epistles. But some Christian writers apparently went beyond this both in letter and in spirit.

And what followed?

1. The council of Chalcedon. The church's testimony was riven. This opened the way for Islam, etc. Remember, once what we now know as Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Iran all had strong Christian testimony. But infighting erupted and the testimony was lost.

Now, is this related to an anti-jewish bias? I suspect, yes.

2. The church on Pentecost was 100% jews, or nearly so. Eventually it became 100% gentile, or nearly so. Instead of outreach there was isolation.

3. It opened the door for centuries of persecution, misunderstanding, even hatred.

4. The scriptures were minimised. "Oh, that's the Old Testament. Now we live by grace." Ignorance got a free pass.

I could go on but you get my point.

All of the above is tentative, and conjectural. I grew up Baptist and never even imagined having such thoughts.

LifeGoesOn 09-07-2017 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countmeworthy (Post 64096)
LOVE IT!!!
I came into a relationship with God, the Holy Spirit around 2010. WOW!! I came into a relationship with God the Father only a few months ago !! I've had a relationship with the Lord Jesus since I got saved in 1975. ONE GOD but 3 different roles. Neither the Father nor the Holy Spirit shed the Blood. That role went to the Son, Jesus.

I feel complete in GOD now but that does not mean I have stopped learning from them/HIM.

Back in the day, at least in San Diego, we did hear the message on repentance and the Power of the Blood of Jesus. Those two fundamental teachings and Truths have helped me immensely in my relationship with the LORD.

I am very happy for you Life goes one!! Life indeed goes on after the LC experience! :hurray:

Blessings!

Yes! I had no idea that I could have a relationship with the Father and the Holy Spirit! I only prayed to Jesus for the last 30+ years. Knowing this is a game changer!

LifeGoesOn 09-07-2017 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aron (Post 64102)
I hesitate to answer because I can't do it justice, but I began to be aware of an anti-jewish bias among early Christian writers. Justin's "Dialog with Trypho the Jew" may be a prominent example. Also Cyril of Alexandria. Paul allowed that God had allowed an opening to the gentiles, in his epistles. But some Christian writers apparently went beyond this both in letter and in spirit.

And what followed?

1. The council of Chalcedon. The church's testimony was riven. This opened the way for Islam, etc. Remember, once what we now know as Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Iran all had strong Christian testimony. But infighting erupted and the testimony was lost.

Now, is this related to an anti-jewish bias? I suspect, yes.

2. The church on Pentecost was 100% jews, or nearly so. Eventually it became 100% gentile, or nearly so. Instead of outreach there was isolation.

3. It opened the door for centuries of persecution, misunderstanding, even hatred.

4. The scriptures were minimised. "Oh, that's the Old Testament. Now we live by grace." Ignorance got a free pass.

I could go on but you get my point.

All of the above is tentative, and conjectural. I grew up Baptist and never even imagined having such thoughts.

Thank you for sharing that. The Lord has shown me some of the same things as well. I have learned about the feasts of the Lord (not 7 LC conferences per year LOL).

I have learned about the Hebrew roots of the church. This really helps one to understand much of the Word (Hebraic idioms, way of thinking, traditions & more).

I also learned Jesus' name in Hebrew (Yeshua). Learning these things and more have brought me a newfound appreciation for our Lord and all that He has done and is doing.

:)

countmeworthy 09-07-2017 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeGoesOn (Post 64104)
Thank you for sharing that. The Lord has shown me some of the same things as well. I have learned about the feasts of the Lord (not 7 LC conferences per year LOL).

I have learned about the Hebrew roots of the church. This really helps one to understand much of the Word (Hebraic idioms, way of thinking, traditions & more).

I also learned Jesus' name in Hebrew (Yeshua). Learning these things and more have brought me a newfound appreciation for our Lord and all that He has done and is doing.

:)

I got 'Holy Ghost' goosebumps reading this post!!! And this is the year of Jubilee according to the pattern of the OT. 50 yrs ago Jerusalem was returned to Israel after being under the control of Jordan!!!

The LSM continues to just focus on themselves missing out on the riches of the Glory of GOD being poured out on His Beloved people.

BARUCH HA SHEM HA MESHIAH YESHUAH! BARUCH HA SHEM ADONAI!
BLESSED IS THE NAME OF MESSIAH JESUS! BLESSED IS THE NAME OF THE LORD!

LifeGoesOn 09-07-2017 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countmeworthy (Post 64106)
I got 'Holy Ghost' goosebumps reading this post!!! And this is the year of Jubilee according to the pattern of the OT. 50 yrs ago Jerusalem was returned to Israel after being under the control of Jordan!!!

The LSM continues to just focus on themselves missing out on the riches of the Glory of GOD being poured out on His Beloved people.

BARUCH HA SHEM HA MESHIAH YESHUAH! BARUCH HA SHEM ADONAI!
BLESSED IS THE NAME OF MESSIAH JESUS! BLESSED IS THE NAME OF THE LORD!

Yes!

https://i1.wp.com/www.fggam.org/wp-c...size=350%2C200

aron 09-07-2017 08:09 AM

I was recently reading where the scripture said, "Behold your king" (Zech 9:9; Matt 21:5). Yet the Jews cried, "We have no king but Caesar." I turned to my companion and said, "You know? I perceive two tragic errors, here. First is when the Jews rejected their King, and second is when the church rejected the Jews". And the second error was only slightly less catastrophic than the first.

Because Jesus the Nazarene was, and is, the King of Israel. If He wasn't the King of Israel, He would have denied Nathaniel, when Nathaniel declared it so (John 1:49). Or when asked if the kingdom was now being restored to Israel, Jesus replied that they wouldn't know the hour or day. (Acts 1:6,7). Notice that the question was not whether the kingdom would be restored but rather the timing. The restoration was a given.

Yet the church evidently forgot this, or was persuaded by God's enemy that it wasn't so. And what ensued? Chalcedon. Infighting and name-calling. Schism. Lost testimony.

It's reminiscent of the great Assyrian army smote at night by the angel of God, and the sun rose upon (185,000) dead. I was reading about the Chalcedon convention (451 CE), where the Egyptian, Syrian, Persian, Ethiopian, Indian, and Armenian church leaders all left fellowship, over obscure theological terminology, - "the nature of Christ" - and it was like watching a great army destroy itself.

Was this connected to the dismissal of the Jewish nation? I can't say, but I know what I felt. And one did follow the other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Sam14:15
Then panic struck the whole army - those in the camp and field, and those in the outposts and raiding parties - and the ground shook. It was a panic sent by God

Scripture said that those who cursed God's people would be cursed, and those who blessed them would be blessed. As the Christian writings began to take an increasingly adversarial tilt against the Jews, as an inferior people, greedy, stubborn and given up by God, with the blessings all transferred to the (gentile) Christians, consequently you see the Christian camp rent asunder of its own accord.

And for confirmation, when emissaries of the Chalcedonian Church (of the Jesuits) came back 12 centuries later, to the Non-Chalcedonians (of the Ethiopians), and convinced the some to go the RCC way, the "way of recovery" (ha-ha), a civil war ensued. One day after battle, a victorious Ethiopian general stood with his aide and surveyed the carnage, amid the bodies and smoke, and said that the victory wasn't over Islamists or heathen but over family, neighbors and kin. There were no victors.

http://home.iscte-iul.pt/~mjsr/html/...uits/index.htm

Kevin 10-18-2017 09:38 PM

Quote:

Hi,

I meet with evangelical and reformed people.

leastofthese 10-19-2017 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 65247)
I meet with evangelical and reformed people.

I meet with other believers.

HERn 10-19-2017 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leastofthese (Post 65269)
I meet with other believers.

Right now I meet with southern baptists; God love them! I also have a Tuesday evening men's bible study (in another town) and after the meeting we sometimes smoke cigars. About two months ago in celebration of my dad's salvation we toasted a little bourbon with the cigars (my treat). Wherever you find four baptists you'll find a fifth!

Ohio 10-19-2017 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HERn (Post 65276)
Right now I meet with southern baptists; God love them! I also have a Tuesday evening men's bible study (in another town) and after the meeting we sometimes smoke cigars. About two months ago in celebration of my dad's salvation we toasted a little bourbon with the cigars (my treat). Wherever you find four baptists you'll find a fifth!

A true redneck! :hysterical: